Laser Post Treatment Care
Post Treatment Guidelines for Laser Therapy
Your laser treatment today was by the “Cutera” System: a Non Invasive Aesthetic Light Energy System which selectively targeted elements in your skin of either unwanted pigmentation, vessels or hair and to improve the appearance of your skin.
Before Any Laser Treatment
• Do not wear any makeup on the day of treatment.
• Excess hair may need to be shaved. Men should be cleanly shaved on the day of treatment.
• No sun-tanning or self-tanners 4 weeks prior to pigment, vascular or hair removal treatment (this includes spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, direct sun exposure, etc ).
• With Genesis treatments no sun tanning for 1 week before and after each treatment.
• Always wear 30+ sun protection 1 week prior to and during any course of laser treatment.
• A sun exposure assessment of treating skin area/s will be done by the technician at each session.
• Avoid treatments that irritate the skin for 1-2 weeks prior to treatment (waxing, depilatories etc)
• Inform us with any changes to your health history or medications since your last appointment.
• A history of cold sores may require an anti-viral prescription prior to treatment.
After Any Laser Treatment
• Avoid sun exposure and use broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen to prevent further sun damage
• Bruising, redness and swelling may occur and will resolve with time
• Avoid heat – hot showers and tubs, saunas, sweating with exercise for 1-2 days
• Avoid skin irritants (products containing tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl, peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents) for a few days post treatment.
• Notify us immedietly if you have any concerns (blistering, excessive redness/swelling).
Laser Genesis Post Treatment Guidelines
Following your treatment, depending on your skin type, it is normal for your skin to range in appearance from looking slightly pink to a little red. Pain is not a feature following treatment. The treatment’s objective is to retain heat in your skin and to naturally allow it to dissipate, which generally takes a few hours. It is important NOT to cool your face artificially (for example with ice). A Dr Spiller moisturiser was applied to your skin to assist healing.
The surface of your skin can feel a little dry for a day or two following treatment. Maintain your moisturising skin care regime kept at room temperature, twice daily, is helpful. If prone to breakouts, depending on degree of congestion, you may experience some breakouts again 5-6 days following treatments. In this instance, we recommend inclusive care of exfoliation with extractions.
We would prefer you NOT to apply any makeup to treated areas for the next few hours after treatment. Genesis is a fabulous skin regeneration treatment that gives optimal results over time. It is a progressive treatment that improves significantly with each treatment. We recommend a monthly treatment for 6 months to achieve optimal results. However, you will visually see some changes with each treatment.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) Laser Treatment for Pigmentation
During your initial consultation we did a skin patch test at various energy levels that was particular for your skin type. This has enabled us to give you an accurate energy treatment today.
Following treatment, it is normal for your skin to look pink to a little red. It is also normal for your skin to feel “wind burnt” and warm to hot for the next few hours. We have applied an Aloe Vera Gel and/or ice to your skin. Endeavour to keep you skin cool until it reaches a comfortable state which may take up to 24 hours. To avoid an ice burn DO NOT apply directly to your skin. Wrap in a cloth and apply on and off at 20 minute intervals.
You may notice that some pigment is already looking darker. That process will continue for the next few days until the treated area looks like speckled “milo” scabs. To avoid scarring, IT IS IMPORTANT NOT to exfoliate the area or pick at them. Just allow them to fall away naturally.
Using Laser to denature pigmentation is a staged process particularly if you have a range of brown colours and speckled reds. Having uniformity in brown tone may require only one treatment. Eliminating pigment it a tricky business and is not always possible as the root causes of most is a combination of sun exposure and hormonal shifts throughout life. Subsequently it is possible to significantly reduce the reappearance of pigmentation by applying sunblock year round. However, most pigmentation reappearance usually follows a season of sun exposure. In this instance a repeat treatment will usually keep it suppressed.
Repeated treatments are recommended at no shorter than monthly intervals.
Vessels/Spider Vains/Roascaea Post Treatment
Laser treatment to your superficial red vessels regularly provides a very satisfying result. Vessels can instantly shut down never to be seen again or slowly diminish over the next few days. Depth of vessels is the criterion. You can return for a repeated treatment 2 weeks later. After treatment, keep the area cool and apply ph neutral moisturiser as per usual. A ”bug bite” look is common and usually resolves in 1-2 days.
Laser Hair Removal Post Treatment
Hair removal/growth suppression is a staged process in accordance with hair regrowth. You will observe that with advancing treatments your hairs will transition from being course to finer to eventually scattered to ideally zero. As laser targets dark pigment it not possible to treat blond or grey hairs.
Before Treatment Guidelines
• Hair should be clean shaven
• No waxing, plucking, tweezing or depilatory creams at least 4 weeks prior to treatment. Some body parts may require a longer wait time.
• An ideal treatment is for you to have some apparent hair growth following any previous hair removal procedure.
• Following treatment your skin may look a little pink and flushed. For comfort, keep the treated areas cool and apply ph neutral moisturiser.
• Do not apply deodorant for a few days as it may be a little uncomfortable.
• Hair may take up to 2 weeks to fall out.
• Do not wax or pluck between treatments
Hair removal requires a series of treatments. The number depends on body location and type of hair.
Returning treatments should be at 6 weekly intervals. At our practice, with any laser treatment, we prefer to take a conservative approach to the delivering of energy levels as the integrity of your skin at all stages is paramount.
Always remember for 2 weeks prior to any laser treatment, NO sun exposure, spray tans or tanning creams. Inform us of any current photosensitive medications you may be taking or considering, and if you are prone to cold sores.
On the day of treatment it is preferable not top wear makeup however, if coming from work no metal based (glitter) products that day.
If you have ANY concerns with the appearance or sensation in your skin following any laser treatment with us, for peace of mind, we would like you to contact us immediately to discuss.
Please remember there are many laser systems in the community and varying experiences had. To date, The Cutera System is the latest and safest technology and our highly trained therapists have been specifically trained in its applications and safety.