Ultra Brightening Accelerator Mask for Hyperpigmentation
Visibly diminish mild to advanced stages of pigmentation and help prevent future skin discoloration with this unique treatment: an ideal complementary mask to a course of peels or as an alternative for deeper peels that require patients to have more downtime.
What is Hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is the darkening of a skin area caused by increased melanin production.
What causes Hyperpigmentation?
The skin’s pigmentation is the result of a complex process of six steps:
• Ultraviolet rays initiate the formation of free radicals
• Free radicals trigger biological agents that act on pigment producing cells called Melanocytes
• These biological agents act to increase the production of the pigment-producing enzyme called Tyrosinase
• Tyrosinase leads the processing of the amino acid Tyrosine to the pigment melanin, which can be either of a red or brown hue
• Melanin is transferred from melanocytes into surrounding skin cells to give the skin its colour
• Melanin is lost from the skin as skin cells migrate to the surface layers and are shed
How does it work?
The ingredients in the Ultra Brightening Accelerator Mask work to rapidly break down melanin within the melanocyte, accelerating the breakdown of hyperpigmentation
• Artocarpus Extract (94% Oxyresveratrol) works by inhibiting the action of the tyrosinase with a non-competitive mode of action. Artocarpus Extract containes Oxyresveratrol which has been reported to be more powerful than hydroquinone and Kojic Acid in inhibiting tyrosinase
• Pterostillbene is an antioxidant with skin lightening properties
• Gigawhite® brightens the complexion and evens skin tone
• Niacinamide acts to inhibit the transfer of melanin from melanocytes to keratinocytes
• Lactic, Citric and Salicylic acids increase epidermal turnover and aid in the removal of superficial pigment
• Ethoxydiglycol and a low pH assists in the penetration of all the active ingredients
Skin is thoroughly cleansed followed by the application of a cream based accelerator mask that is left for approximately 5 minutes. Following this, the mask is thoroughly removed with cool water then a hydrating serum and sunscreen is applied.
Frequency of Treatment
For best results, a minimum of four treatments are recommended fortnightly in conjunction with a full home care program which incorporates the Ultraceuticals MD Brightening Serum.
A follow up appointment in two weeks is recommended to discuss treatment outcomes and to possibly continue with further treatments. Activating time is gradually increased with successive treatments working up to 15 minutes. A peel may also be used prior to this treatment to increase and further improve outcomes, your therapist will be happy to discuss this with you further upon consultation.
How will my skin look following the treatment?
During the treatment you may experience “flushing” – a rapid onset of the feeling of heat. This demonstrates the active ingredients are penetrating through the skin surface into the epidermis.
Following this treatment skin will appear pink/red in colour, like the skin is sunburnt. You may experience slight inflammation but this will subside within ten to thirty minutes following the treatment. You can expect flaking to occur within one to two days following the treatment. Active ingredients in skin care products such as Vitamin A, AHA’s, BHA and Vitamin C should be discontinued for 48 hours post treatment and we do recommend using and SPF post treatment.
What are the Contraindications?
You should not have this treatment:
• Using Roaccutane
• Have open wounds of any kind
• Had recent facial surgery
• Have active Rosacea
• Have Eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis
• Suffer from Herpes Simplex (cold sores) on your face
• Have cancer or recent radiation therapy
• Recent Sunburn
• Recent waxing (within 1 week)
• Have had IPL, laser therapy or injectable treatments in the last 2 weeks to your face
• Strictly no injectable treatments 72 hours prior
We suggest after this treatment that the use of aligned home care brightening products is commenced to continue to see the benefits and further reduction in pigmentation.